IMBY

I guess this would be the opposite of a NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard), someone who wants problems dealt with - but not in a way that impacts their comfortable life (thank you very much!)

So what would an IMBY outlook be?

Realising that all problems impact on us, no matter how they're solved.

Wouldn't it be better to live in such a way, and in such a place, that embraced the reality of the problems we (as a species) face?

To recognise that saying "it's not my problem", or "what can I do?" is just a much bigger version of the fact that sometimes I walk past things in my house without tidying them away.

That sounds flippant, but...

If everyone in the family picked up the things that were out of place as and when they saw them, then there would be no things out of place.

The problem is that we all want to "do it later". But that only means that we're just deflecting the problems we face now into some magical future time when all things become possible.

But there is no future time, because the only time is now. And if I don't tidy up now, I won't tidy up.

And if we ask the question "how can I possibly help fix these problems?" then the answer gets moved onto someone else, in some future time...

But if we ask "how can I help?", the answer moves to us, now.

Comments

Popular Posts