Feel the resistance...and do it anyway

The book tells us to 'Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway'

Good advice.

Fear shows us where our edges are, where we need to push to open up new experiences and ways of being.

Fear is also pretty easy to spot.

Public speaking, networking, new job, sky diving (?) - it's physically obvious when you're scared and resisting the moment (we all know what fear feels like) which makes it easy (relatively) to know when your buttons are being pushed, and when to kick into 'Do It Anyway' mode.

Not that doing it anyway is easy, but knowing when you should is.

The hard part is knowing when you're merely resisting something you could easily do, but are choosing not to.

Facing the huge edges of our fear can transform our lives and let us open up our impressions of ourselves to include a more expanded view of our capabilities and the world around us.

But those things don't happen everyday.

What does happen everyday?

I didn't really want to get up this morning at 5:15, but I did it anyway as I knew it was good for habit building.

I didn't really want to do my yoga when I got up (I felt more like lifting weights), but I did it anyway as I needed the calm energy it would give me.

I definitely didn't feel like upping my meditation to 15mins this morning but, even though I spent most of it engrossed in my thoughts, I did it anyway.

What do all those small things add up to?

A different view of myself - I'm the kind of person who gets up early, works out, meditates even when I don't feel like it.

It's not the biggest hardship in the world, it's not facing my worst fears and pushing through them but it's moving my edge of resistance further away from my present comfort zone so that with each day that passes these things become easier.

Moving our edges builds over time, but looking back you'll realise how far you've come simply for 'feeling the mild resistance and doing it anyway'.

Not quite so catchy a title I'll grant you...

Comments

Popular Posts